Quilled Candy Canes "Happy Holidays" Card
- 6 × 6 in (15.24 × 15.24 cm)
- Blank inside for your own message; outside message: "Happy Holidays"
- Comes with coordinating envelope
- Because this is a square envelope, additional postage is required when mailing
- This product is certified by the Fair Trade Federation
- Each card comes with a short history of the art of quilling
- Suitable for framing. Shadowbox frame sold separately here.
Quilling is the art of rolled, shaped, and glued paper that results in creating a unified, decorative design. The name quilling is thought to come from the origin of the art; birds’ feathers, or quills, were used to coil the strips of paper around.
The art of quilling has been around for centuries, with a remarkably varied historical background spanning across continents. The birth of quilling is a bit unclear, with opinions regarding this differing depending on the source. Popular opinion suggests that it was first seen in ancient Egypt, where certain filigree-type art inspired more modern quilling years later.
Quilling has persevered through time, most notably making its mark throughout the Western world. During the Renaissance, nuns and monks would roll gold-gilded paper trimmed from books to adorn religious objects, mimicking costly gold filigree. In later years, quilling continued to be practiced throughout Europe as it caught on as a leisurely activity for affluent women. They would adorn objects such as picture frames, baskets, and jewelry boxes.
Fair Trade Certified
Since 2015, Quilling Card has been certified with the Fair Trade Federation. The organization focuses on maintaining a code of values for just treatment of employees. With the rapid expansion of the business, Quilling Card employs over 500 quillers in two locations, providing a stable and safe work environment, with healthcare and food benefits for its employees.